23
Fri, Aug

18 militants killed in Helmand offensive

South
Typography

ANA-carsAt least 18 militants, including a commander, were killed during a clash in Nawzad district of southern Helmand province, an official said Wednesday.


District Chief Sayyed Murad Sadat told Pajhwok Afghan News that 18 Taliban, including a notorious commander, were killed in retaliatory attack by Afghan forces after the rebels stormed a number of security posts in Nawzad district late on Tuesday.
He said that Afghan security forces did not suffer casualties during the clashes. Corpses of the slain militants were still laying in Shikhzo area.
Sadat added that a number of militants previously fighting in Sangin district had fled to Nawzad district and started attacking security outposts.
Clashes between Taliban and Afghan security forces have been underway from the past 20 days in Sangin district where officials claimed militants were forced to flee the area.

Source: pajhwok news agency