After 13-day long anti-militants offensive, the National Directorate of Security (NDS) claimed completely securing the control of restive Nawa district in southern Ghazni province. A statement from the spy network said on Sunday that the volatile district was under insurgents sway for nine years.
The statement said that the operation concluded on Friday morning with control of the town. During the days long anti-insurgents campaign, the NDS said that 270 Taliban including foreigners had been killed in the operation.
In addition, the Afghan National Army (ANA) seized 100 tons of explosive materials and 250 land mines. Shafiq Nang, spokesman for the acting governor, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the district was a Taliban hub with a strategic importance.
The militants were spreading their anti-state activities from this district to other parts of the country.
The afghan security forces including the Afghan National Army's 203rd Thunder Military Corps commander initiated the military operation codenamed “Badar,” which led to flushing out of insurgents from the district. One hundred seventy insurgents including four commanders and three deputy commanders were killed and 70 others wounded in the clashes with security forces.
Some of the insurgents including two Pakistanis were apprehended during the offensive, he said, adding that one ANA soldier was killed and two others wounded in the firefight. In addition, 200 roadside mines were also defused in Maqur and Nawa districts. ANA had built security check post to keep Taliban at bay after defeating them.